ISO 27001 is a set of 18 Control Objectives and Controls designed to properly secure the sensitive information assets of a company. ISO 27001 is considered to be the most well-renowned standard for information security management in the world! Any business that chooses to implement ISO 27001 should demonstrate that they have facilitated the management of security deemed as ‘sensitive assets,’ which could be anything from staff information to financial data or intellectual property files. ISO 27001 is not compulsory but companies that do implement this standard have shown that they have a commitment to high levels of cybersecurity.
How does a business get ISO 27001 certified?
In order to be certified under ISO 27001, a business must follow a number of important procedures:
- Define the scope of its information security management systems
- Carrying out internal audits on any information security risks to ensure a greater level of data protection
- Estimating the impact and probability of each of these possible cybersecurity risk events through risk mapping, e.g. through designing a Risk Treatment Plan based on the previous mapping, writing a Statement of Applicability, or converting the Risk Treatment Plan into an actionable plan.
Benefits that we receive from ISO 27001 certification
ISO 27001 ensures that we have effective data protection and protects us from any financial loss due to data theft. An effective cybersecurity system is absolutely crucial to us here at Alpha Response and we have been certified since 2018. Not only does ISO 27001 provide an efficient framework to prevent any information security risk, but it also provides adaptable protocols to make profitable IT security investments. Certification also comes with additional benefits, such as:
- Reassuring stakeholders and clients by helping you stand out among your competitors and enhancing brand image
- Reassurance of clients can also help to reduce the number of externally made audits that they need to be conducting, while we can benefit from frequent internal audits of our information security management systems. All of which can guarantee the development of our information security controls.
How does ISO 27001 certification help with our cybersecurity strategy?
All businesses should ideally be interested in data protection, since it’s such a fundamentally important asset to any business. In particular, there has been a significant increase in cyberattacks on businesses that have targeted sensitive data, and companies are becoming increasingly affected by different cyberattacks that target confidential data. Such attacks can be implemented through phishing scams, spam e-mails, or even spyware.
Contrary to popular belief, large corporations such as FTSE 100 businesses are not the only victims here. In the UK alone, 65% of small and medium-sized organisations suffered a cyber attack between 2019-20. Since bigger firms will tend to be better equipped to deal with cybercrimes, they can often recover faster than small and medium-sized businesses. The amount that hackers can demand in an exchange for data that has been stolen can also massively weaken the budget arrangements of a smaller business.
The ISO 27001 standard’s very purpose is to manage all of these risks. Given all this, it’s fair to say that ISO 27001 is absolutely pivotal for the safe operation of our business.
Alpha Response are direct marketing specialists offering expert Printing, Mailing, and Integrated services in and around the Gloucestershire area. If you would like to know a bit more information about how we at Alpha Response can help you turn your transactional documentation into highly efficient marketing tools, then take a look at our website www.alpharesponse.ltd or give us a call on 03300 563 980 – we’d be happy to help! You will also find more information on our website about the other services we offer, case studies on people we have worked with, and any vacancies that we might have available.